Moon Music by Coldplay (2024)
Having bought their first ever album back in 2000 when I was a university peasant and Coldplay were one of many shoegazer indie bands rising up at that time. I was drawn in by the intimate beauty of 'Parachutes'. It felt like four guys in a cabin somewhere writing cozy, lovesick lullabies. Then, two years later, 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' came out and they have been churning out stadium-sized anthems ever since. Over the years they have seemingly given up on trying to be the new Radiohead (a comparison that was made a lot in the beginning and now seems completely absurd) in favour of simply being a big shiny smiling crowd-pleasing behemoth of pop/rock. They make no bones about it. If you see them live, Chris Martin whirls and sings and smiles his way through every single performance like it's his last night on earth. They love what they do and they want you to love whatever it is you do too. In short, they are probably the one band in my life who I have grown up with and continue to be relevant in 2024 so I will fight anyone who says anything bad about them. Ok? Ok.
However, let us attempt objectivity for the purposes of this review. Unbelievably, 'Moon Music' is their 10th studio album. I thought they were on album number 28 by now, so ubiquitous have they been in my consciousness. Yet here we are on number 10 and it is one of their most cohesive, fully-realised albums for years. As a suite of music, these tracks really work well together and, as all good albums should, make for a better experience when listening from start to end.
From the sci-fi strings and dreamy piano of the opener we're off to a good start, which blends seamlessly into the lead single 'feelslikeimfallinginlove' (yes, the titles are annoying). The first time I heard this song, as with many more recent Coldplay efforts, my initial reaction was an almost obligatory eye-roll. We live in such cynical age that it's like that annoying bloke you knew at school has turned up going 'Guys! Isn't everything amazing?!' But, as again with many recent Coldplay efforts, after merely a few listens I find myself singing along with joy in my heart. Lyrically, it's not exactly William Blake, but it's Coldplay we're talking about. You are here to enjoy a slice of pop magic and this is exactly what is provided.
'We Pray' can be summed up as probably a bit of a reach too far. Chris Martin pairing up with names like "Burna Boy" and "Little Simz" is going to do absolutely nothing to dispel the cringe Dad stereotype. It's an ok track but, for me, quite obviously the lowest point of the album. It's still not bad and, with the outro bleeding into the next song, somehow fits within the journey we're being taken on. It only feels like a dip because the rest is pretty much magic. 'Jupiter' is a gorgeous track about love and acceptance. 'Good Feelings' is a great pop song. 🌈 (yes, that is the actual track name) is actually an amazing piece of musical dreamscape that completely betrays it's dreadful track name. In fact, this album features much more instrumental work that you might expect from a Coldplay album. All of which really gives the whole thing a cohesive feel and reminds you that behind this machine are four incredibly talented musicians.
'iAAM' is a track that you think you don't like but you'll be belting out at the top of your lungs at Wembley Stadium next year. So just go with it. That is followed by three tracks that highlight everything great about the modern version of Coldplay. 'AETERNA' (again, not the best title) is a highlight. It's almost, dare I say, a banging house track that would not be out of place blaring out of the Blue Marlin at 2AM. Next is 'ALL MY LOVE', which is a classic damnit-I'm-wearing-my-ruddy-heart-on-my-ruddy-sleeve ballad. Say what you will but this is the sort of song you feel Chris Martin was born to write. Again, lyrically pretty on the nose but it hits you directly in the feels. I'm not crying, you are.
The album closes with 'ONE WORLD' and continues the dreamy, spacey, vibe that ties the album together and quite frankly it's just a beautiful song. It gives you exactly the feeling that an album should give you upon ending - that you're sorry it's over and you've been moved in some way. As I say, this isn't Coldplay's best album but it's the best they've created in some time and, yeah I'll say it, the world is a better place with Coldplay in it. They are the proverbial chicken soup for the soul and the thought of them retiring soon (something I don't believe for a second but I may also be in a state of heavy denial) is a thought that fills me with dread. Love them or hate them, I don't think anyone can not admire this band for everything they have achieved, the music they continue to put out and the legacy they have created. This album is a strong addition to their catalogue and well worth a full listen, top to bottom, to truly appreciate all it has to offer.
★★★★☆
JB

Comments
Post a Comment